Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jerry Goldsmith Tribute Concert Paris May 31st
JN
Unregistered

clap.gif posted on 15-4-15 at 20:43
Jerry Goldsmith Tribute Concert Paris May 31st

Jerry Goldsmith concert in Paris. Details for tickets and concert..

http://www.theatrechampselysees.fr/orchestre/orchestres-invi...

Thierry Schreurs

[*] posted on 2-6-15 at 21:57

Hello Everybody,

Last week-end I was in Paris to attend this Jerry Goldsmith event.

This was indeed the very day of the planned Jerry Goldsmith homage at the Theatre of Champs-Elys?es, a sumptuous art-deco location by the way.

Credits as follows:
Orchestre Colonne - Laurent Petitgirard (Direction)
Ch?ur Ocup - Guillaume Connesson (Chef de choeur)
Musiques de films avec hommage ? Jerry Goldsmith
Th??tre des Champs-Elys?es - Avenue Montaigne - PARIS

-program-
Capricorne One
Alien
The Twilight Zone
The Boys From Brazil
Basic Instinct
The Mummy
The Russia House
Planet of the Apes (The Search Continues, The Clothes Snatchers, The Hunt)
- entracte-
Anxiopolis (world premiere - Fabien Cali, who received a "Jerry Goldsmith Award 2014")
L.A.Confidential
The Shadow
Poltergeist
Rambo II
The Omen
Gremlins II

I definitely wanted to attend to this event as this is very rare to have such a full rendition to an american composer in France, especially our beloved Jerry Goldsmith.

I confess I really didn?t know what to expect from this event, having minimal information prior to the concert to the program, the conductor and the orchestra.

Wow! The concert was nearly sold out, lasted 2h30 long, was almost exclusively Goldsmith material related (at the only exception of one excellent symphonic impressionistic avant-garde concert piece by a new French composer Fabien Cali, recipient of a "Jerry Goldsmith 2014 Award for composition", piece which got played at the beginning of part 2 after the entr?acte, with the composer in attendance)

The Goldsmith program was well known for aficionados but nevertheless included some material no so oftenly heard in concert like THE SHADOW theme or THE MUMMY theme.

The peaks of the concert were of course the PLANET OF THE APES suite and the OMEN suite, all already previously heard but which provide always pleasure to listen to them again, with all the possible variations (expected or not) from each unique actual performance.

Except for some minor wrong notes here and there, the performance was really excellent, featuring very dynamic conducting effort by French composer/conductor Laurent Petitgirard. (NB: Petitgirard is the composer of Otto Preminger's movie ROSEBUD, back in the seventies).

None of the performance was lazy at any time; everything was played driven and dynamic, and with accurate tempo most of the time.

There was no artificial amplification of any kind, the acoustics of the theater was excellent by itself, and the overall sound of the performance was incredibly close to our closed miked soundtracks discs versions instead of some more concert-sound oriented stuff.

A very big and good surprise this french event!

The narration between the cues, as said by Petitgirard, about the themes and the movies for which they were composed, was suitable and accurate, sharing with the audience his obvious knowledge and great understanding of some Goldsmith professional composing techniques.

Besides THE SHADOW theme and the POLTERGEIST theme played with complete chorus! (also a premiere?), the very big thing for me was the last performed cue, to my knowledge never before heard in concert, a GREMLINS 2 suite.

I first though that the poster of the concert featuring GREMLINS 2, was a mistake and basically featured some GREMLINS stuff?and therefore I was expecting the classic Gremlins rag and nothing else, without the SMALL SOLDIERS stuff by the way.
But no, this really was a real GREMLINS 2 suite and not the GREMLINS first movie score! With all the new material, gentle romantic stuff and everything. A true must to hear this small suite live.

Then came the final applause, the encore request, and the coming back on stage of the conductor?who granted the audience with GREMLINS 2 once again. During this GREMLINS 2 encore, a private joke was introduced as Petitgirard invited the chorus master to come front stage and conduct the rest of the piece with him, thus came a big laugh from the audience.

In all, a very great moment for

The dream would have to get the entire concert preserved in audio and /or video and I think there was an archival recording for the orchestra as I saw a static professional camera in the middle of the audience but with no cameraman.

In all, this was a fantastic Jerry Goldsmith special event, especially as it was outside the UK for once.
JNEEDS
Super Administrator

Mood: You know

clap.gif posted on 5-10-15 at 13:37

Great report. Wish I could have attended. Many thanks for the info on this one.

Jason Needs
Webmaster Jerry Goldsmith Online

Go To Top