Jerry Goldsmith Online Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: INTRADA: Rambo III (updated)
Justin Boggan
Posting Freak

Mood: :-(

[*] posted on 21-8-17 at 16:35
INTRADA: Rambo III (updated)

Old original post is shuffled down below. Here is the announcement from today:

Quote:
RAMBO III
Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
INTRADA INT 7150

Intrada has given one of its long-standing catalog titles a refresh in this latest edition of Jerry Goldsmith's 1988 score to Rambo III. With this title back in the catalog, Intrada now has the complete Rambo trilogy in print. For this newly re-edited and remastered 30th Anniversary release, Intrada accessed Mike Ross-Trevor’s multi-track mixes made from the original scoring session masters. The sequencing of the previous releases was altered from that of the picture in some instances for purely musical purposes and has served listeners well for nearly three decades. This all-new presentation offers everything Jerry Goldsmith recorded for Rambo III during March and April of 1988 but now in the sequence he originally intended for the film.

In the film, the 1979 – 1989 Soviet invasion of Afghanistan becomes the broader story, with Rambo’s daring rescue of a captured Col. Trautman (Richard Crenna) the major story arc. The largely Islamic jihadists fighting the recently established leftist government – now making ties with the Soviets—were portrayed as sympathetic freedom fighters and were in fact historically given support by the United States. In response, Jerry Goldsmith fashioned his most haunting and emotional new material for them. He wrote what is possibly the largest number of separate themes for a single score of his career, resulting in a musical architecture that distinguishes the score for Rambo III from its predecessors, lending the score a shape characteristic of a small group of Goldsmith film scores, including The Sand Pebbles and The Challenge.

INTRADA INT 7150
Barcode: 7 20258 71502 9
Retail Price: $19.99
SHIPPING NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit: http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11455/.f

OLD POST:

Well, it's a little cheating, it's still in the process. But Doug talked a little about it:

Quote:
.... we're working on this idea as i write. The never-before-released alternate for "Another Time", which is shorter with a slightly altered performance of the trumpet solo, is actually the version used in the film. So I really want to have it on this completely re-mastered version... which means a 2-CD set would be necessary. It turns out the cue called "Insane" was edited onto another cue way back when so it'll appear just as it always has after all. A previously unreleased separate take of the percussion section for "The Joust" also has a couple of seconds of tympani pre-roll that didn't make it onto any of the previous releases so that may find its way onto the extras, just for completists - though including the heavily-edited version Jerry put together for Scotti Bros. would make a total of three (!) versions appearing now! Since the entire end title in the movie is the song "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother", it makes sense to have it included as well, if we can. This brings in Scotti Brothers, who we originally shared a license with back when the movie was new in the late eighties. If everything works out, then including the entire Scotti Bros. release, which featured songs, a Giorgio Moroder piece and seven Goldsmith score cues will all help create a proper-length second CD. No separate trailer music was written for the third movie beyond cut-and-paste tracking from the previous movies. And we've done the Carolco logo already. In any case, the 2-CD idea gets everything Jerry recorded including the two extras, plus the Scotti Bros. release for those interested in a different approach to presenting the movie's music. That's where the discussions are at now.

Whatever we end up doing, the entire 77-minute score disc has already been licensed and has been completely re-edited and newly mastered, finally presenting the score in film chronology with several of the more-awkward (though fine for 1989 purposes) assemblies updated. And we'll have all-new packaging. This is the Rambo III that I want to look at and play. big grin
--Doug

Source: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7330&a...

The New Number 2: "Are you going to run?"
Number 6: "Like blazes. The first chance I get."
JNEEDS
Super Administrator

Mood: You know

[*] posted on 24-8-17 at 18:19

Can't get overly excited about this one but Goldsmith titles are so thin on the ground now re-buying scores I have is probably what can be expected more often than not.

I wish Varese would get on with issuing US Marshals and AFO.

Jason Needs
Webmaster Jerry Goldsmith Online
Justin Boggan
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-9-17 at 18:17

An update:

Quote:
Currently there are some discussions between the various parties involved (StudioCanal, Scotti Bros., Intrada) over specifics. We're sort of at the bottom of the totem pole so we're treading water while things get worked out. As soon as we can, we'll get this release out be it a 2-CD set with the song album included, a completely re-mastered one disc release of our score album or... well, something anyway. :lol:
--Doug

Justin Boggan
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-2-18 at 19:57

I forgot about this, so one of the mystery titles is already solved.

Justin Boggan
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-3-18 at 15:59

Could the clue for the March 1 release be this score?

Quote:
Third time's the charm on this one. Not necessarily expanded, but some resequencing and improved sound and definitely improved packaging makes for this score's latest incarnation. Tried to include the vocals but wasn't possible.

M5000

[*] posted on 5-3-18 at 18:34

Yes, here is the new notes from Intrada:

3/4/2018

Alexandre Desplat has his second Oscar, vacations are over for the time being here at Intrada and things are back on schedule… meaning another new CD release lands this coming Tuesday, March the 6th. Technically it’s not a “new” release but our long-delayed return of Rambo III, with all-new mastering courtesy the first generation three-track mixes made by Mike Ross-Trevor from his Otari 32-track session masters. Now sequenced in film order with new packaging as well. Jerry Goldsmith’s complete Rambo trilogy under one roof at last. --Doug.
JNEEDS
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-3-18 at 12:03

Nice to have. Hoping the remastering is a noticeable step up. Other than that the art and booklet should be good. Not too fussed on missing out on the slightly different Another Time. The film edit of Preparations too sounded like nothing to be concerned about.

As for the content looks like latter cues have been split up or combined. Looks confusing, perhaps unnecessary too? Disappointing to see final battle has been joined to another cue. Hope there is no cross fade as I will be splitting that up for sure - love that cue on its own.

Jason Needs
JNEEDS
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 14-3-18 at 19:07

The new Rambo III CD arrived today and I’ve been enjoying the upgraded sound. Much more weight to the recording now, especially the brass. I’ve split the Final Battle cue up from the Showdown as I love that as a separate piece - thankfully no cross fade. Getting used to a few of the cues being separated elsewhere. The second part of the Night Fight - last couple of minutes stands out now as almost being a separate cue too. Booklet very good and notes more detailed. A great upgrade.

Jason Needs
M5000

[*] posted on 26-9-18 at 04:58

If I have the previous almost full scores of Rambo II (1999 Silva release) and Rambo III (2005 Intrada release) is it worth getting into these updated versions?

I'm asking mostly because it appears that these newer releases will be around a while and I have other full scores I've been waiting to buy.
JNEEDS
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 26-9-18 at 06:38

Quote: Originally posted by M5000
||
|| If I have the previous almost full scores of Rambo II (1999 Silva release) and Rambo III (2005 Intrada release) is it worth getting into these updated versions?
||
|| I'm asking mostly because it appears that these newer releases will be around a while and I have other full scores I've been waiting to buy.

You must get the new Intrada Rambo 2 at least. Improved sound and extra music missed from the Silva. Rambo 3 less so but sonic improvements are noticeable.

Jason Needs

Go To Top